- What was the Inspiration for your wedding day? We did a mutual proposal in Big Sur. It was a very intimate and romantic moment for us and we wanted to replicate that with our guests on our wedding day.
- How and why did you pick your venue and or wedding details? We got engaged in one of the few human sized nests displayed around Big Sur. When we walked into Loma Vista, we saw that they also had a nest. We knew this was the place right then and there.
- What special details did you include in your wedding or reception?? During our ceremony, we asked three close and important married couples to say something about how their marriage has lasted all these years and how they are stronger now than ever before. We thought it would create an inclusive environment by having them stand in their spots rather than come up to the front. It was a very touching and memorable part of our wedding. We also set up our ceremony chairs in a half circle rather than traditional straight lines. We felt this made our ceremony intimate and created a feeling of inclusion. During our reception and one of the band breaks, we surprised our guests with a bagpiper, who just so happens to be one of our best friends. It was so fun to see our guest’s reactions! Also, half way through the father/daughter dance, Andrew took the bride’s mother to the dance floor and danced the rest of the song with her. We did the same thing with the mother/son dance with Hannah dancing with the groom’s father.
- How did you make your wedding day special and make it about the two of you??! We are not very traditional people, so we left a lot of that out. We never felt pressured because it just didn’t feel like us. For example, we slept in the same bed the night before because we wanted to wake up to each other on our wedding day. We had coffee that morning together and spent a little time with one another before getting ready.
Most memorable moment (s) of your wedding day? (From Groom and from Bride):
GROOM: Our vows because I felt like they whole heartedly embodied both of us individually and together at the same time. Specifically, how emotional yet comedic they were and how we took some of our engagement vows and blended it with our new vows. Declaring our love for one another in front of 118 of our closest friends and family was so powerful and special. BRIDE: The speeches! We had all of our siblings speak at our reception plus the best man, maid of honor, and my dad. They were all incredibly funny and so sweet. I laughed harder than I ever have and cried many, many, tears. It was the first time in my life hearing my favorite people speak about me and my relationship. I learned a lot about myself ha!
- What was your favorite part about the wedding planning process? We loved picking out all of the details (tablescape, lounge furniture with couches, rugs, pillows…etc) and turning our dreams into reality. It was SO cool to see all of our visions come to life on our wedding day.
- Any advice for those planning now? Have fun! There will be curveballs and changes, but always be open minded and flexible. Your wedding is about you, but it’s also very much about your families. It’s an ever-evolving process, but when the big day arrives, it is exactly how it was meant to be.
- Processional: Wildflowers by Tom Petty and Maybe I’m Amazing by Paul McCartney
- Recessional: I Wanna Dance with Somebody by Whitney Houston
- First Dance: Crazy Love by Van Morrison
- How was your experience working with The DeLauras?? We were SO comfortable with The DeLaura! Anthony and Kendalare so friendly and fun and always made us feel at ease–We met them a couple of months beforehand when doing our engagement shoot. Best decision ever! It helped us create such a trusting relationship which made our wedding day way less stressful. We always knew they were doing the best job ever. We never worried or questioned anything with them on our wedding day.
getting ready GLEN OAKS in the BIG SUR CABIN | first look BIG SUR RIVER GLEN OAKS | ceremony GLEN OAKS | reception LOMA VISTA INN & GARDENS | destination BIG SUR | event planner MARIAH GREEN EVENTS | floral design KATE HEALEY OF BIG SUR FLOWERS |
August 15, 2018